We’ve been on a journey of personal branding for network marketers this past week, learning how to make ourselves stand out from the crowd of network marketers online, how to leverage our personal style and use it to attract people like us who will become raving fans, subscribers, and future business partners. But…I’ve kept the best part for last. How to Make Money with Your Brand. And that opens up the debate of the Yin-Yang of Affiliate Marketing when it comes to personal branding for network marketers.
If you’ve not read the previous 2 posts they do lay the foundation to today’s post. You can read them here:
“So, How Does Personal Branding for Network Marketers Make Me Money?”
The greatest thing about creating a personal brand and using it to leverage your skills, talents, and gifts to help others is that you’re building trust and relationship with the people who are following you and establishing yourself as a credible authority in your niche. Having a consistent brand and strong marketing sets the foundation for earning money in your home based business.
If you’ve followed my steps in my 1st post on personal branding-finding a niche, you’ve explored some sites like amazon, eBay, Google and social media and you’ve discovered what products are already on the market in your niche. You’ve read through the comments and the reviews and discovered where the books, products, and information that are already on the market, are not meeting the needs of your followers and you know what things about these products that your readers value. You’ve probably also gotten an idea of the price points that other marketers are targeting.
Now it’s time to sketch out a marketing funnel of products that you can offer to your list of raving fans to help them solve these problems and challenges they have. These can be your own products, affiliate products, or a combination of the two.
Personal Branding for Network Marketers: The Yin-Yang of Affiliate Marketing:
The tendency of most network marketers online is to jump right into an affiliate product.
There are some benefits to affiliate marketing:
- It’s easy
- You can leverage someone’s knowledge, time, experience, and marketing
- In just a few clicks to copy and past an affiliate link into your marketing messages.
- You can also use an affiliate product to ‘test the waters’ with your market and see what types of products they are attracted to and purchase.
- Affiliate marketing allows you to offer complimentary services and products to your list.
The con’s of leveraging an affiliate product (especially at the beginning of your marketing funnel) are:
- You’re trying to build a list and not all of them allow you to capture the lead (look for ones that allow you to capture a lead if you decide to use an affiliate product)
- The affiliate product does not position you as an expert and trusted authority in your niche
- You’re giving your new lead to someone who is probably more experienced, and better at persuasive marketing. They’ve already build their marketing funnel and will continue to market to YOUR LEAD and develop relationship and trust with them.
- The biggest reason against affiliate marketing early on in your marketing funnel is that you’re branding someone else!
The Solution to Personal Branding for Network Marketers is to Create Your Own Product that Brands You and Follow Up with Affiliate Products in the Future.
My preference is to create some simple products and services to offer that will brand you and your signature message and use affiliate products to offer additional resources for my list, after I’ve developed trust and relationship with them.
Personal Branding for Network Marketers: The benefits to having your own product…
- It makes you a credible resource and leader in your niche
- It allows you to leverage your time…create it once and get paid over and over
- It’s inexpensive to create a product but has a great potential return on income
- You can leverage your product to build your list and use it as incentive to your list of business prospects
- You get to keep 100% of your profits
- Having your own products makes you a credible resource and leader in your niche.
- It gives you something to trade with other marketers in a joint venture
- It can lead to speaking engagements online and offline
- It can act as your “business card”
- It can allow you to have your own affiliates promoting for you
- Certain types of products can lead to recurring residual income for you: such as a membership, coaching, or consultant program.
“Yea, but isn’t that hard? I mean, wouldn’t it take a long time and wouldn’t I need to know a lot in order to create my own product?”
Creating your own product can be super easy and you can start with what you know right now! In my next post, I’ll show you how to sketch out your marketing funnel and create your own information product in 3 simple steps!
If you enjoyed this post, learned something new, or have an opinion to share, please comment below and share it on twitter and facebook! You’re on a do-follow blog, so you’ll get some link love as a thank you from me!
And remember to stop by tomorrow to discover Personal Branding for Network Marketers: Marketing Funnel & Products!
p.s. Continuing the discussion on personal branding for network marketers: yin – yang of affiliate marketing:
I love that there are some great discussions regarding the benefits of an affiliate product to help beginners learn some of the basic traffic generation, SEO, and building a list. Those are essential skills that every marketer must master and there are a few great programs out there to help you learn how to do that and earn some affiliate income at the same time. For some marketers this is a great choice in the beginning. There are benefits to it as I addressed in my post above.
When it comes to personal branding for network marketers, using an affiliate product can sometimes dilute your brand and hinder your list building efforts. When you balance out the commission, in trade for your lead, it’s not always worth it.
Tips to help you maximize the effectiveness of an affiliate product or system without minimizing personal branding for network marketers.
- Choose a product that allows you to capture the lead and build your list
- Create a supporting product as an irresistible offer and place your affiliate offer on your thank you page
- Create some additional value to the affiliate offer to give your prospects a reason to sign up with you instead of someone else promoting the same offer. ie. a 30 minute training or webinar explaining how to use the system and sharing your favorite shortcuts, or a 15 minute consultant where you personally review how they have used the affiliate product or system and give them suggestions on how they can get better results.
- Get creative and brainstorm things you could offer that will add value and help your leads get the results they are after…that will help you establish credibility, trust, and a relationship with your readers.
You have enough value to offer right now that can help someone, and by sharing that value you’ll be branding yourself as a leader in your niche. Having your own product does not minimize the importance of learning how to generate traffic, create awesome content, and building your list. But remember that as you learn and grow your business, all those tips, tricks, and skills you gain brand you as a better leader. And you always need to be on the look-out for ways to set yourself apart from your competition and give your followers a reason to do business with you instead of someone else!
By all means, leverage whatever you can, but don’t use an excuse like you don’t feel like you know enough to be successful, as your reason for not creating an information product. Every 4th grader is a God in the eyes of a 3rd grader. Find the third graders in your niche and help them. They’ll become your best raving fans, prospects, and customers in the end. And that’s our goal when it comes to personal branding for network marketers!