How do you coach a new business builder to help him or her see success in their network marketing home based business, as quickly as possible, without them feeling like you’re pushing or pressuring them?
As a network marketing leader you will be balancing a fine line between coach and cheerleader to your business partners. You want to be encouraging and supportive when they need it and also give them the hard answers at times when things aren’t working or they’re afraid to stretch their comfort zone.
Having an initial conversation with your new teammates to establish your role as their coach and cheerleader, and to help them understand what success in this business will require is an important and very helpful first step.
It is part of the initial new consultant orientation process on our team.
The good, bad, and ugly of network marketing:
The things that attract people to a network marketing home based business are the very things that cause the majority of people who enter this industry to fail; low initial investment, low risk, flexible schedule, and the ability to be your own boss.
Sadly, a lot of the people you sponsor into your business will never do anything with it. It’s no different in network marketing than it is in any other business, weight loss program, exercise regime, home organization, or debt reduction plan. Success is not as easy as many people think when they get into the business, and when the going get’s tough, most will quit.
I’ve been in the position in my career of wanting success for the people I’ve sponsored more than they want it themselves. That’s a very difficult position to be in as a leader, and learning to love people where they are was a hard, but valuable lesson to learn.
How will personal assessment questions help you lead your new teammates?
In order to know how set up a strong rapport with our our teammates, learn what makes them tick, and what motivates, them, my team, my up-line, and I have created a list of personal assessment questions.
We are using this list of questions early on in our coaching conversations with our new teammates to help them wrap their head around what they are committing to, as well as to help us discover how we can best support them, how they like to be coached, etc.
We follow this personal assessment with an assignment to figure out what their why is and to create their signature story that they will use when they are asked about their business by someone they meet.
Personal Assessment Questions for Network Marketers
Questions you can answer with your sponsor and/or you can use to get to know your new teammates so you can better coach them:
- What is your most favorite thing about your current job or situation?
- What do you least like about your current job or situation.
- Have you ever thought about what your ideal “job” would look like? Is it structured or unstructured? What you’d be doing, what your hours would be, how you would plan your day?
- What inspires you? If you could do anything you’d like to do and you didn’t have to worry about working for money, what would that be?
- Who do you know who would love to support you in life?
- Of all the people you know, who, if anyone, would you really love to be “in business” with?
- How do you handle support from others?
- Are you open to receiving support and coaching from me?
- What do you believe are your greatest strengths?
- What does success look like to you?
- What do you think holds you back from being more successful?
- Need, Speed, and Vision? What would you like to be earning from your network marketing and/or internet marketing business and when:
- What are you willing to exchange in order to create that?
- How willing are you to get out of your comfort zone to make this business work?
- Are you externally motivated or internally motivated?
- When would you like to get started?
- In what areas can your sponsor best support you to prepare you?
- What is your monthly budget for your personal order, marketing, and supplies?
- How much time do you feel that you can commit to your business? Are there certain days of the week or times of the day that work better for you?
- What are you most excited/ passionate about your new business?
I encourage you to talk with your teammates and tweak this personal assessment for network marketers to fit your company and your team’s approach.
If you enjoyed this post please comment and share it with your friends on facebook and twitter! I would love to know what personal assessment questions you use in your getting started process for your network marketing business!