Win-Win of a DoFollow Blog: Is Blog Commenting an Ineffective Waste of Time Regarding SEO?
You learn something new every day and today I learned about the benefits of a Do Follow blog! And, it’s going to create a better WIN-WIN for my readers who take time to comment and engage on my blog because you’re going to get more SEO benefit!
I’m creating a Win-Win by converting from a No Follow to a Do Follow Blog!
How much time do you spend commenting on other people’s blogs? It’s awesome to connect, give compliments to the writer for a great post, and build relationships. That should be the number one reason you ever comment on someone’s blog! But let’s be honest with each other, there’s also that little “what’s in it for me” reward of a back-link to your blog and SEO boost that makes it even more of a win/win, right? I just learned that blog commenting could be an ineffective waste of time when it comes to SEO!
Josh Garcia write a couple of posts on the topic of Do Follow that you’ll definitely want to check out! I’ve provided a link to them for you below. But I first wanted to share why I felt so passionate about sharing this.
I loved John’s post because it taught me something new and he shares my attitude in wanting a blog that rewards my readers for commenting and engaging! It builds community, relationship, and great comments enhance my message!
But, little did I know, I wasn’t rewarding my readers because my blog was No Follow up until a few minutes ago! You are on a Do Follow blog now!
Are you a Go Giver? Do you want more great comments? Get a Do Follow Blog!
Of course you are! And of course you do! Let’s create a Win-Win movement of Do Follow blogs in the true spirit of social networking, contribution, relationship building, and go-giver attitudes!
If you want to make your blog a Do Follow blog, here’s what you should do:
- Make sure you’ve got the akismet and captcha plugins installed on your blog to control spam.
- Make sure that your comments are set so that you have to approve the comments before they appear on your blog just in case someone’s comment is spam, or they’re giving you an easy thumbs up just to get the back-link.
- Set Your Blog to Do Follow with the plugin!
- I created a Do Follow badge of honor for you to display on your do follow blog to encourage commenting! (Right click on the color below that matches your blog, and “save target as” or “save link as” to get the png file.)
- Write a post about the benefits of having a do-follow blog and link the image to that post, or link the badge back Josh’s post or back to mine so they can get their free DoFollow badge too.
- Here’s a video by Susan Redmon showing you how to add the dofollow badge to your blog. (Thanks Susan!)
- I’ve also created a video for some of my readers who have asked for it:
Two other things you can do to reward your readers for commenting:
- Install the comentluv plugin that shows the name and a link to the commentator’s recent blog post!
- Install the top commentators plugin to reward the people who contribute the most to your blog with some branding!
The Rules of the Game are to “Play Nice” on a Do Follow Blog!
If you know you’re on a Do Follow blog, make sure you’re respectful and that you’re adding value to their blog with your comments! Two word “Great Post” comments are NOT acceptable! (And if they’re left on my blog they will be deleted!)
Before leaving a comment, ask yourself:
- Did I gain value from their post? What was the value I received?
- Do I have a question about their post?
- Is what I have to say something that will enhance their message or provide a different perspective?
- Is the owner is engaging in conversation with the people who have take the time to comment on their blog?
Should you still post comments on a No Follow blog? YES! Here’s why:
The daily habit reading several blog posts by various authors in your niche is great continuing education.
- You can ask questions and get one-one-one help via the comments from leaders in your field.
- Let the blog owner know you got value from them!
- Even if you don’t get SEO benefits from a back-link you may still get traffic back to your site!
- Commenting on the leading blogs in your niche will show that you’re staying up to date on what is happening, engaging with others.
- Commenting on other blogs will help you brand yourself and build trust and credibility with your own readers who recognize your gravatar on other blogs!
So here’s the link to Josh’s awesome post. Watch the video on this post first about how to tell if the blog you’re commenting on is a no follow or a do follow blog, then click the link at the top of Josh’s post to read his post from Monday that explains the nitty-gritty on Do Follow vs No Follow.
- He shares how to know if a blog is a No Follow or a Do Follow blog. (WordPress blogs are No Follow by default!)
- He shares why a Do Follow blog is a win/win
- He shares what he looks for in the blogs he follows and comments on
- He also shares what to do to prevent spam on your blog
It will be worth your time, I promise!
Oh…and please comment! I’ll make it worth your time with a nice little back-link because I’m proud to say that I have a DoFollow blog now!
If you learned something new or this post added value to you, please tweet it and facebook it to others who will benefit!
p.s. I just discovered a blog directory of Do Follow blog if you are interested in getting your blog listed on their directory!