Today, I’m going to share some common mistakes that beginner blog writers make, regarding their blog traffic and blog SEO.
Maybe you’re impatient like I am and you want to see faster results, or maybe you’ve taken some time off for a vacation or some other reason and the traffic to your blog has dropped down a little bit, whatever the reason, the answers and the resources are here.
Several of these mistakes are linked to a related post containing information that helped me to learn and improve my blog SEO and increase my blog traffic. I suggest after you read this post, comment on it, and share it, that you come back and explore the links I’m sharing here.
Shall we get started?
Traffic and Blog SEO: 10 Common Beginner Mistakes
1. Thinking that “if you build it, they will come”
- Instead you need to drive the traffic to your blog through social media, articles, videos, guest posting, tribes, newsletters, emails, blog memes, etc.
2. Posting inconsistently and infrequently
- Top bloggers “do it” every day or multiple times a day! Posting frequently practically guarantees success.
3. Not writing valuable blog posts that are worth book marking and syndicating
- Share your best information on your blog! You will obviously want to optimize it for blog SEO but make sure you mostly focus on the HEO, Human Emotion Optimization that will keep your readers on the page!
4. Not doing keyword research
- Ahh…I know, keyword research can be as boring as preparing your walls before you paint because you want to hurry up to the fun part of writing, but you’ve got to do it if you want to get good results!
5. Ignoring on page blog SEO rules when you’re writing
- There are 10 basic on page blog seo steps that anyone can follow…even a beginner blogger!
- Turn your best post into an article and submit it to article directories (I love the ezine articles plugin for automatic article submission!)
- You can also create press releases, videos, and podcasts by tweaking the same content and distributing it online with links leading back to your blog, tags, titles, and descriptions all including the keywords you wrote the original article around for your on page blog SEO.
7. Not doing deep internal linking
- Link to your older relevant posts in your current post with anchor text in the main keyword of the post you are linking to, to keep them fresh and getting traffic. (See the examples I’ve done in this post.)
8. Not letting the search engines know about your blog updates
- Make sure that your blog is set so that it’s visible to search engines? It’s under settings, privacy in your wordpress dashboard.
- Ping your blog on pingoat.com, pingomatic.com and pingler.com
9. Not connecting and building relationships with other blog owners in your niche or being part of a tribe
- Read and comment on blogs in your niche every day
- Syndicate top blog content from your blog and your favorite blogs
- Join a syndicating tribe or a commenting tribe to help you boost your blog comments
- Be a Go Giver: Remember the more blog comments you give you will get more blog comments from others
10. Not building quality back-links from high ranking sites
- Commenting on relevant top blogs in your niche
- Submitting content to high page rank sites like ezine articles that links back to your blog
- Get quality backlinks by commenting on .edu and .gov sites (quality will help your blog seo more than quantity will!)
Seven Other Bonus Traffic and Blog SEO tips:
1. Do a virtual interview with another blog owner. Write a post about it, paying attention to your on page blog seo and embed the video or audio in the post. Chances are the other blog owner will likely promote your post to their list and drive traffic to you.
2. Give away a free checklist or report that doesn’t require an opt in. Your post will likely go viral. Make sure to include a link to your blog in the pdf checklist.
- Two examples that I’ve done this year: Copywriting Secrets Cheat Sheet and On Page Blog SEO Checklist / Cheat Sheet
3. Submit your site to web directories that have a high page rank.
4. Ping your Feedburner rss feed on the ping sites I listed above.
5. Write a controversial post related to your niche, like I did on my recent Personal Branding: It’s Not About You Inc. post.
6. Guest post on other blogs and invite other blog writers to guest post for you. (Make sure you tweak their post to be be optimized for the search engines and so that it includes some internal deep links too.)
7. Go back and update some of your older posts so that they are better optimized for on page blog SEO and linked to other related posts/pages.
I’ve made these traffic and blog SEO mistakes over and over and still continued to grow my blog. But as I work to correct them on my blog, I’m seeing fantastic improvements. I am by no means an expert, but in my opinion that’s great because if I can correct my blog SEO mistakes then you can too!
Again, I’ve included several links to other articles in this post that will help you increase your traffic and improve your blog SEO. You’ll want to come back and check them out, but first…
I would love to know what you think! Please share your feedback in the comments below, and please help me boost my blog traffic by bookmarking and syndicating this post! It will help you increase your personal brand and build traffic to your blog so you can show off all the blog SEO skills you’ve learned here!