You’re asking so I’m delivering more beginner blogger questions and answers! Today’s question was, “How do I get my blog found online?”
We all need blog traffic, but I remember all to well those days of single digit visits on my blog in its first few weeks. How was I ever going to get noticed, get traffic, build a reader base, subscriber list, and ultimately my business if no one even knew I existed?
While getting your blog noticed as a beginner blogger may feel hard, it’s really easy-peasy-lemon-squeasy as my 9 year old would say.
Why? Because the easiest way to get your blog noticed and start the flow of blog traffic requires only two steps which I put into play and succeeded with in just a few weeks.
I took a cue from the old movie, Can’t Buy Me Love. I believed that if I could get in with the in crowd, my content was good enough to do the rest of the sweet talking for me.
Step 1: Get noticed by a popular blogger.
Step 2: Draft off their success to get your blog found.
We love to network and we love to be the one to discover something awesome that no one has discovered yet. That’s what makes this beginner blogger get noticed plan so simple. You’re job is to help a popular blogger look good!
But first…a critical step: When they find your blog, you want them to be overwhelmed and impressed with the quality of your content! So make sure that before you start to put this plan to work, you’re ready with a great looking blog that has a dozen or so fantastic high value posts on it!
Ok, here we go…
Beginner Blogger First Plan of Action: Who’s That?
Your first mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get noticed by a popular blogger who accepts guest posts on their blog. Get on their radar so that they see you everywhere and become familiar with you.
There are so many easy ways to do this.
Beginner Blogger Way to Buy Your Way In:
- Buy their product and send them a testimonial
- Buy their product and ask them questions
- Connect with them in social media and thank them for their incredible training
- Write a review of their product
- Become an affiliate of their product and start making sales
Broke Beginner Blogger way to Get In Free:
- Start liking and commenting on their facebook updates
- Re-tweet their words of wisdom, and RT every one of their blog posts
- Chat with them online about non-business related things. Wish them happy birthday, compliment them on their vacation photos, laugh at their jokes (the funny ones!)
- Comment on their blogs (faithfully!) Offer incredible value in the blog comments that stands out above and beyond the rest. It’s okay to respectfully disagree.
- Write a post about what you loved about one of their posts and link to it from your blog
- Ask questions on their free webinars and conference calls
Everyone loves to get attention from others. Many people will work harder for praises than raises as they say, so giving them attention, and making an effort to get to know them, will definitely help you get your foot in the door and get on their radar.
The goal is to build a relationship with them so eventually they will come check you out, see what you’re up to and find out what you’re all about. They may do this through a fantastic title in a comment luv link they see on their blog, it may be from a post of theirs you raved about and linked to, or it may be because they constantly see you in their @reply twitter stream.
Beginner Blogger Get Noticed Step 2: Who’s Who
Once you’ve been noticed, it’s time to put the second part of the plan into play…get your ask in gear.
- Offer to guest post for them. Include a fantastic, over the top, over delivered post as bait to get them to say yes. Remember to add lots of links to some of their great posts in the article. Don’t be sensitive if they ask you to revise it or tweak it. Remember that they’ve got more experience than you do as a beginner blogger. Take their advice and learn from it!
- Or, ask them for a virtual interview. If you choose the interview route, remember your goal is to make them look good, so no dateline-type interviews, okay?! Remember to get their permission to record the interview and let them know you’re going to send them a copy to do with whatever they would like. There is a good chance they’ll send it to their list, or tweet it out, and you can use it as bait to lure new readers in.
Be prepared! Think ahead and create a traffic funnel for your guest post visitors. The same day they publish your post, create a sister post on your blog to welcome their readers. Make sure it is equal value as the guest post you’ve submitted and gives them a reason to come visit.
Here’s an example of a post I did last fall and the follow up sequence of posts:
When their readers comment, and they will, comment back, friend them on Facebook, follow them on twitter and start building a relationship with them too on their blogs.
It only takes one popular blogger to open the door for a beginner blogger and get your blog discovered. And when one popular blogger takes notice of you, others will too. You’ll go from a unknown blogger to the blogger everyone wants to know.
So beginner blogger, I need to know what else you want to know. Please help me keep this series going by sending me more questions.
Oh, and if you enjoyed this post please comment and share it with another beginner blogger or two in social media.